Find Local Office Desk Companies & Get Free Price Quotes. No Obligations & No Credit Card Needed.Get Free Quotes >>
Search Our Site
Find Us on Facebook
Office Furniture Articles
Get Free Office Desk Price Quotes
Reception Desk Prices
Your reception area is the first thing customers will see when they walk in the door. Make a good first impression by choosing a reception desk that is not only functional, but also attractive and well made.
Reception desks are available in a wide variety of sizes, configurations, and materials. The price depends heavily on the materials that are used, although factors like the size of the desk, the shape and the number of shelves and drawers also contribute to the total cost.
About Reception Desks
Reception desks can be made with laminate, plywood (also called wood veneer), solid wood, or metal. Within each category, there are varying levels of quality. Some laminates are sturdier than others, for example.
There are traditional rectangular-shaped reception desks, L-shaped desks, U-shaped desks, and rounded desks. Rounded desks tend to be the most expensive because they are the most difficult to build.
Shelving and drawers come in an almost endless number of configurations. You can opt for rolling drawers, open shelves, cabinets that swing open - or a mix and match of all three.
Reception Desk Average Costs
Reception desks begin in price at around $500 and can range upwards of $20,000. As with most products, you get what you pay for. A $500 desk might last a few years while a $5,000 desk could last decades.
Laminate reception desks are the least expensive:
- A rectangular laminate reception desk typically costs $800 to $1,700.
- A larger L-shaped laminate reception desk might run $1,000 to $2,100.
- An L-shaped laminate desk with frosted glass panels would likely cost $1,200 to $2,800.
Wood veneer desks run slightly more:
- An L-shaped wood veneer cherry desk would likely cost $1,500 to $3,200.
- A L-shaped wood veneer cherry desk with a glass top costs $4,000 to $8,000
Solid wood desks are the most expensive:
- A solid wood half-round reception desk might cost $6,000 to $12,000.
- A three-quarter round solid wood reception desk might cost $8,000 to $18,000.
Choosing a Reception Desk
Quality is an extremely important consideration when choosing a reception desk. It's not worth saving a few hundred or thousand dollars upfront if you find yourself having to replace the desk in two years.
To gauge the quality of any reception desk you're considering, follow these tips and tricks:
- Examine the drawers. Do they slide in and out easily or do they get stuck? Quality drawers slide in and out on metal rollers and are assembled using an interlocking dovetail constructions. Drawers that are stapled or glued together are likely to fall apart quickly.
- Use the length of the warranty to gauge how long your desk is expected to last. Mid-range models have an expected life of five to 15 years, while high-end models should last for decades.
- If you opt for laminate, make sure you choose a thick, high-pressure laminate.
- If you're buying a steel desk, make sure to examine the quality of the steel. As a general rule, higher quality steel desks will be heavier than lower-quality models.