Find Local Siding Experts & Get Free Price Quotes. No Obligations & No Credit Card Needed. or Call 866-343-9174.Find Local Pros >>
Search Our Site
Find Us on Facebook
All Siding Articles
James Hardie Siding Installation Prices
James Hardie pioneered the use of fiber cement siding in the mid 1980s and today, the material is as popular as it's ever been. Commonly referred to as Hardie board siding or Hardie plank siding, James Hardie fiber cement siding offers a unique combination of durability, versatility, and strength that makes it an attractive alternative to wood and imitation wood products such as vinyl. To learn more about James Hardie siding, including how much it costs, continue reading this buying guide.
Reasons to Install James Hardie Siding
Fiber cement is composed of wood and cement fibers, sand, and water. These materials are combined under high heat and pressure to form a solid, strong finished product. Hardie Plank lap siding, the flagship James Hardie siding product, has been installed on over 4 million homes. When you consider the following attributes of James Hardie fiber cement, the product's popularity is easy to understand.
- Strength and Durability: Hardie Board siding is non-combustible, termite-proof, and resistant to rot, wind, rain, hail, snow, sun, warping, and shrinkage. And depending on where you live, James Hardie siding is imbued with specific attributes that allows it to perform best in your specific climate. The company, so sure of its products' performance, backs them with a 30-year limited warranty.
- Beauty: James Hardie understands that while siding performance is critical, curb appeal shouldn't be ignored. That's why it offers four distinct product lineups: Hardie Plank, Hardie Shingle, Hardie Panel, and Artisan. Each type of James Hardie cement siding not only contains a natural-looking wood grain that is far more realistic than vinyl, but is available in patented ColorPlus Technology that's warranted for 15 years.
- Green and sustainable: Hardie Board installation is a smart choice for your home and for the environment. Fiber cement is made entirely from natural and abundant ingredients and its durability means that it lasts longer than many other materials.
- Savings: In terms of cost vs. value, James Hardie fiber cement siding is exceptional. Over 15 years you can save up to $5,000 on repainting costs. Also, you could reduce your homeowner insurance premiums by an average of 14% when you install Hardie siding (compared to vinyl siding).
- Award-Winning: James Hardie has been recognized for its efforts to create better places to live by a number of leading publications, including MONEY Magazine, Builder Magazine, and HOME Magazine.
James Hardie Siding Average Costs
The actual cost of James Hardie siding may vary based on the materials used, the local economy, the complexity of the installation, and other factors.
- James Hardie siding costs $8 to $12 per square foot. For a home with 1,500 exterior square feet, that's a total cost of approximately $15,000. At this price, Hardie board is roughly 40 percent more expensive than vinyl siding. This is mostly due to the fact that fiber cement is heavy (around 5 times heavier than vinyl) and therefore more labor-intensive.
- The cost to remove and dispose of existing siding, if not included in the estimate, could cost an additional $1 to $3 per square foot.