How Much Does Exterior Trim Cost?
Exterior Trim Prices
Get Free Exterior Trim Price Quotes!
Replacing old or damaged exterior trim can dramatically improve the curb appeal of your home at a fraction of what it would cost to completely reside it. In this buying guide you’ll learn more about the benefits and costs of replacing exterior trim.
Reasons to Install Replacement Trim
Whether your home is clad in wood, metal, stone, vinyl, or a composite material, the trim can become damaged by weather, insects, animals, neglect, and impacts. In fact, because trim extends out further than the rest of the siding and is located in areas vulnerable to damage such as corners, it can more easily sustain damage.
If your home has sections of trim that have fallen into disrepair, you should consider replacing them for the following reasons:
- Improve curb appeal: According to the National Association of Realtors, curb appeal is responsible for selling nearly half of all homes. Because of the prominence of siding trim, even a few dilapidated sections can cast your home in an unflattering light. If you plan on selling your home—or if you simply take pride in its appearance—ensure that your house creates a good first impression by replacing old or damaged trim.
- Preventative maintenance: Rot, whether from moisture or fungus, can infiltrate many types of siding, especially wood. Because exterior trim pieces are the most susceptible to rot, they should be replaced as soon as possible to keep the rot from spreading to others areas of the siding. Failure to do so can result in a much more substantial repair bill. You may also want to replace exterior wood trim with vinyl trim to prevent rot issues.
- Inexpensive style upgrade: Nothing updates the appearance of a home more than a fresh paint job. But repainting can be an expensive—not to mention messy—project. Instead, consider repainting or replacing entirely your exterior trim. Pre-primed and pre-painted boards make the upgrade even easier.
Receive free trim quotes from multiple professionals in your local area. All of the professionals we will connect you to are skilled in trim installation. Talk to multiple professionals, receive free quotations, and choose the right contractor for the job based on your needs and budget. Get started now!
Exterior Trim Average Costs
The cost of replacing exterior trim depends on the material type in addition to other factors, including the extent of the damage, the local economy, and the difficulty of the installation. Because of these variations, the following prices are only meant to provide a general overview of exterior trim replacement costs.
- Replacing wood exterior trim costs $5 to $10 per square foot.
- Vinyl trim replacement costs $2.50 to $5.00 per square foot.
- Metal trim (aluminum or steel) costs $3.00 to $6.00 per square foot.
- Stucco trim costs $7.50 to $10.00 per square foot.
- Replacing Masonite (hardboard) siding costs $2.50 to $5.00 per square foot.
- Fiber cement siding trim costs $5.00 to $10.00 per square foot.
- Replacing brick trim costs $15 to $20 per square foot.
- Natural stone trim costs $15 to $30 per square foot; manmade stone costs $10 to $15.
- You may have to pay extra—perhaps $1 per square foot—for the removal of the old trim and its disposal. Find out from whether your contractor take waste from the jobsite, as your weekly trash collector may refuse to take it.
- Consider hiring a handyman for around $25 to $50 per hour. If you’re only replacing a few boards many siding installation companies won’t bother to do such a small job.
Compare Free Exterior Trim Installation Quotes
Receive free quotes from multiple carpenters with expertise in exterior trim. Compare contractors and prices to get the best exterior trim installation for your project. It’s fast, easy, and free! Start now!