How Much Does a New Roof Cost?
- For a 2,000 square foot new roof the cost will be approximately $2500-$3000. A low bid might be closer to $2000, a high bid around $5000-$6000 or more.
- A bundle of shingles costs $20-$25.
- Shingles, labor and disposal of the old shingles.
- The general procedure for installing a new roof is to strip one side of the roof, replace those shingles, and then repeat for the other side. This saves labor costs as all ladders and other equipment are already in place. The majority of the work involves stripping shingles and getting the new ones onto the roof. A contractor who uses boom trucks will generally perform faster and cost less.
Make sure you get several estimates for your roof project. We have a network of reliable roofing contractors across the US who will provide you with free price estimates after filling out one short form.
- The height and pitch of the roof, as well as roof access and the amount of cutting (to remove the old shingles) will all affect the new roof cost.
- Paying for the best shingles could cost $10-$20 more per bundle, but is well worth the cost. Look for Architectural shingles with a 25-year life.
- The cost of renting a dumpster for the disposal of the old shingles will be around $250-$300, though this depends on the size of the dumpster and how much waste it holds. Also, local municipalities may charge extra to dump building materials. Most contractors will include the cost of a dumpster in their estimate, but make sure before work begins.
- If there is more than one layer of shingles to remove labor costs can double.
- Some people choose to have gutters and flashing replaced at the same time as new roof installation. This could cost an additional $2000-$3000 for a home with a 2,000 square foot roof.
- It isnít always necessary to strip the existing layer of shingles. Simply putting another layer on top could cut labor costs in half.
- In lean times a contractor will bid less for a job.
Shopping For A Roof?
- Get several estimates and make sure the roof contractor is licensed and insured as roofing is a very risky business and home-owners need to protect themselves against accidents that may occur on the job.
- In general, an experienced, high-quality contactor will cost loss than fly-by-night roof contractors because they will use experienced workers and labor-saving techniques. Ask around to find a roofer with a good reputation.
Free Roof Price Quotes
Fill out this quick form and get free bids from roofing contractors in your area. This service is completely free with no obligations to hire. You will never be asked for credit card information.