How Much Does Removing Wallpaper Cost?
Wallpaper Removal Prices
Get Free Wallpaper Removal Price Quotes!
If you have old wallpaper in your home and are having paint applied instead, you will first need to remove the original wallpaper.
Wallpaper Removal Costs
- Removing wallpaper is a very case-by case job. Some contractors charge by the square foot, others by the roll, some per hour and some by room or the entire home.
- If being charged by the square foot, prices will range from $2-$20/square foot or more for difficult jobs.
- Per roll, expect to pay $10-$12.
Get free bids for your wallpaper removal project from multiple local painting contractors. CostOwl.com has partnered with ServiceMagic to provide you with this service.
- Most contractors follow a basic procedure when removing wallpaper. First, they lay down drop clothes to protect floors, carpet and furniture. Next, they mix a stripping solution with hot water. After that they apply the mixture to the walls, usually with a roller or sponge. Once the walls have been “painted” with the solution they start peeling, or else apply another coat and then peel. This is repeated until all of the wallpaper has been removed.
- The cost of an estimate should include all labor and the removal of the old wallpaper, though make sure what is specified in the contract before the work begins.
- For those brave enough to try and tackle wallpaper removal, wikiHow offers a step-by-step procedure.
- Discounts may be available if large amounts of wallpaper need to be removed, or if you are using the same contractor to apply new wallpaper or paint afterwards.
Shopping For Wallpaper Removal Services?
When choosing a contractor for removing wallpaper, many will want to take a sample (2 feet x 2 feet or so) in order to gauge how difficult the job will be. Some contracts may specify that work will stop and the price re-negotiated if it proves especially difficult. Homeowners should account for the opposite (the job being easier than expected) as well. If not, they may end up paying more.