Find Local Ornamental Fence Installation Experts & Get Free Price Quotes. No Obligations & No Credit Card Needed.Find Local Pros >>
Search Our Site
Find Us on Facebook
All Fencing Articles
Ornamental Fence Prices
Traditional ornamental fencing constructed from wrought iron has been used to provide security and beauty to homes, churches, and other buildings for hundreds of years. Wrought iron ornamental fences are still available today, and ornamental fencing is also made from a number of modern materials that offer comparable protection and curb appeal at a lower price. This buying guide provides information on the types of ornamental fence in addition to ornamental fencing costs.
Types of Ornamental Fencing
Ornamental metal fencing made from iron, steel and aluminum are preferred by homeowners due to their classic styling, but vinyl and wood ornamental fences are common alternatives to metal. What follows is a brief rundown on the advantages of each material.
- Iron Ornamental Fence: Wrought iron fences are the gold standard for ornamental fencing. You'll pay more up front for ornamental iron fencing compared to other materials, but this is partially offset by iron's long life, low-maintenance, and strength, plus the fact that it can increase property value.
- Steel Ornamental Fence: When people refer to wrought iron, they are often referring to fencing that is in fact made from steel. Ornamental steel fencing is extremely strong and durable. Galvanization prevents rusting, but some homeowners forego the extra coating of protection in order to achieve a classic aged iron look.
- Aluminum Ornamental Fence: Ornamental aluminum fencing isn't as strong as iron and steel, nor does it offer the same stately appearance. It is much more affordable, however, in addition to being highly resistant to corrosion and available in many styles.
- Wood Ornamental Fence: Ornamental wood fencing brings to mind the classic white picket fence, but pickets can be of varying heights, spaced at different lengths, and shaped in a number of ways to produce endless style variations.
- Vinyl Ornamental Fence: Ornamental vinyl fencing can be made to resemble wood and metal and in terms of price, falls in-between the two. Many homeowners choose vinyl because it is virtually maintenance free; it often comes with a lifetime warranty, never needs painting, and is impervious to sun, wind, water, and pests.
Ornamental Fencing Average Costs
The following prices are only general estimates. Depending on your location, the quality and detail of the materials, the difficulty of the installation, and other factors, actual prices may vary.
- Wrought iron and steel ornamental fences cost an average of $30 to $50 per linear foot installed, though this price could run as high as $100 to $300 or more per linear foot.
- The average cost to install an aluminum ornamental fence is around $15 to $40 per linear foot, but on the high end costs could reach $100 per linear foot or more.
- A wood ornamental fence costs roughly $10 to $20 per linear foot installed.
- Installing a vinyl ornamental fence costs approximately $20 to $30 per linear foot.
- Don't forget to add on the cost of a gate, which, depending on the type of fencing and the size of the gate could cost anywhere from around $200 to $2,000 dollars or more.