Find Local Door Installation Experts & Get Free Door Installation Price Quotes. No Obligations & No Credit Card Needed. or Call 866-343-9174.Find Local Pros >>
Need a Loan for a Project or Purchase?
View and compare competitive, personalized loan offers of up to $100,000 from multiple lenders for free.Compare Loans >>
Search Our Site
Find Us on Facebook
All Door & Window Articles
Exterior and Interior Door Replacement Prices
An exterior door is any door that opens to the outdoors. They include your home’s front door, any side or back entry door as well as doors that open onto a patio or porch. Exterior doors are available in many designs and shapes and most are also built with protection from the elements in mind.
New Door Facts
- Home exterior doors make a statement, as they are one of the first things people will notice about your house.
- Wood is the most popular choice for an exterior front door. An exterior wood door made of wood veneer and engineered wood costs around $200 to $500. Solid wood doors are more expensive. A six-panel pine door costs about $500-$600, while decorative exterior wood doors or a custom exterior door, made from mahogany or cherry with options like glass, transoms and sidelights, could cost as much as $2,000 to $5,000 or more.
- A steel door is generally the least expensive option, starting at around $150 to $200, but again the price of steel doors jump quickly with the addition of add-ons like transoms. Some have a wood core while others are solid steel throughout.
- Fiberglass doors are a good pick for harsh climates as they are tough and require little maintenance. They can be engineered with wood texturing to resemble oak, cherry and other woods. You’ll pay $200 to $300 for a basic fiberglass door with no add-ons but a complete fiberglass entry system could cost $2,000 to $4,000.
- Aluminum doors are often custom built to match the size of your opening. An aluminum door comes pre-painted and will not rust. Prices start at $500 to $600.
- A storm door is installed in front of an exterior door, providing additional protection from weather. Their glass panels can usually be interchanged with screen panels, providing ventilation in warmer weather. Basic storm doors cost around $250, while name-brands such as Pella, Andersen or ProVia costing around $500 to $1,000 installed.
- Sliding glass doors are usually found an adjoining porch or patio. They are made from panes of glass with an aluminum, wood or vinyl frame. A sliding glass door costs around $500 to $2,000.
- Exterior French doors, similar to sliding glass doors in construction but designed to swing out. Sold in pairs, they begin at around $1,000 and can cost up to $3,500 for high end French doors.
Receive free quotes for your exterior or interior door project from local professionals who are experienced professionals in this type of work. Receive free pricing and free advice by filling out our simple form or giving us a call. All experts we connect you to are licensed and insured.
- Exterior door replacement in an existing space costs around $250. To create a new space for sliding glass or French doors it might cost $500 to $1,500.
- A basic knob and lock set costs $50 to $100; designer exterior door hardware costs more.
- Exterior door installation is a manageable DIY project. However, an exterior door install for solid-wood doors, sliding glass doors or French doors can be quite complicated. Below are some links for how to install exterior door:
- How to install a pre-hung exterior door
- How to install a storm door
- How to install a sliding glass door
- How to install exterior French door
- This Old House gives a comprehensive rundown on choosing a front door.
- Consumer Reports.org provides an overview on exterior doors.
- HGTV.com offers inspiration by way of front door designs.