Find Local Tile Resurfacing Pros & Get Free Price Quotes. No Obligations & No Credit Card Needed.Find Local Pros >>
Search Our Site
Find Us on Facebook
All Bathroom Articles
Bathroom Tile Refinishing Prices
If your bathroom tile is chipped, cracked, or worn, it gives the entire room an unpleasant appearance. Removing and replacing bathroom tiles, however, is a messy, not to mention expensive, project. And in fact, it is also unnecessary, as you can restore tile to its original appearance through resurfacing. Bathroom tile resurfacing, also known as tile refinishing or reglazing, updates your dated and worn ceramic tile at a fraction of the price of new tile installation. To learn more about this procedure, its benefits, and how much it costs, continue reading.
How Bathroom Tile Refinishing Works
Bearing in mind that the specific methods used by individual companies vary, the following is a breakdown of the tile reglazing process:
- The tile is cleaned to remove dirt, grease, oils, soap film, and other residues.
- Chips and cracks in the tile are filled in and the grout (the filling between tiles) is recoated. If refinishing bathtub tile, damaged or missing caulking is additionally repaired.
- Once the tile surfaces are cleaned and the grout and caulk lines filled to create a smooth, uniform coat, a refinishing product is applied. While companies will match the existing tile color, some offer an update to the color of your choice and others can even use a process that adds the look of more expensive materials such as stone.
NOTE: The process described above can be used not only for bathroom floor tile, but also bathtub surrounds, tile walls, and counter tile.
The Benefits of Refinishing Bathroom Tile
Reglazing bathroom tile offer the following advantages:
- Saves Money: By resurfacing tile rather than removing and replacing it, you can save up to 50%.
- Saves Time: Tile refinishing is typically performed in a single work day, much faster than demolition and replacement.
- Less Mess: Although most homeowners grin and bear it as a means to an end, nobody enjoys the mess that comes with tearing up and laying down new tile.
- Color Choice: If your tile is old enough to need repairs, chances are the color scheme could use an update as well. Kill two birds with one stone by changing your tile color at the same time that it is resurfaced.
- Improves Cleanliness: Filling in worn out caulking and grout will not only look better, but will improve sanitary conditions by thwarting the growth of mold and mildew.
Tile Resurfacing Average Costs
The actual cost to resurface bathroom tiles depends on your location, the company hired, the amount of tile to be resurfaced, the condition of the tile, and other factors.
- Bathroom tile refinishing costs $5 to $10 per square foot. Assuming that a typical 100 square foot bathroom contains about 50 square feet of open floor, that's a total cost of $250 to $500.
- Note that labor costs could be higher for a smaller area such as a shower surround, which itself might cost around $500 to $600 to refinish.
- Refinishing tile in an entire bathroom might cost $1,000 to $2,000.