Find Local Bathroom Remodel Pros & Get Free Price Quotes. No Obligations & No Credit Card Needed. or Call 866-343-9174.Find Local Pros >>
Search Our Site
Find Us on Facebook
All Bathroom Articles
Bathroom Remodel Prices
If you asked 100 homeowners about bathroom remodeling you'd probably get 100 different answers about what the project would entail. There is one point, however, that everyone would agree upon: a bathroom renovation isn't cheap. That said, updates to the bathroom hold their value well and overall, the investment is a sound one for homeowners. As for the difficult job of estimating bathroom remodeling cost, this buying guide looks at what people around the country are paying in an effort to help you start budgeting and planning your own remodel.
Factors Influencing the Cost of Bathroom Renovation
The complexities of estimating bath remodeling costs cannot be overstated. When individual homeowner preferences, bathroom size, and the enormous range of fixtures, flooring, bathtubs, shower surrounds, cabinets, countertops, and other options are considered, it's easy to see why options, and potential price tags, are virtually limitless. Still, certain factors make more of an impact than others on project cost. Some of the most significant are explained below.
- Home Location: Bathroom remodeling estimates tend to be the lowest in southern states, while homeowners in the West and the Northeast should expect to pay more.
- Subcontractors: Bathroom remodels are labor intensive compared to other home renovations. On average, 60 to 70 percent of the cost to remodel a bathroom is labor and expense related, with the other 30 to 40 percent going towards the finished product. This is largely due to the need for numerous subcontractors such as plumbers, electricians, painters, and in some cases, a bathroom designer. Of these, plumbers and tiling contractors represent significant expenses.
- Layout: One way to keep costs in check is to refrain from making drastic changes to your existing bathroom layout. For example, if you relocate all of your plumbing fixtures, this will entail large amounts (of expensive) labor.
- Help Yourself: You don't have to be Bob Vila to take bathroom remodeling into your own hands. Of course, it's not advisable to tackle the electric and plumbing if you aren't qualified, but even taking a weekend to do the painting yourself can net solid savings.
Bathroom Remodel Average Costs
Use the following national bathroom remodel estimates to get a better idea of how much your project will cost:
- Expect to pay $15,000 to $20,000 for a comprehensive, mid-range bathroom remodel, although bigger and/or more extensive projects could easily cost $25,000 to $50,000 or more. When undertaken as a DIY project, the same remodel might only cost $5,000 to $10,000.
- A minor or partial bathroom remodel might cost you $8,000 to $12,000.
- According to the 2011-2012 Cost vs. Value Report by Remodeling Magazine, updating a 5 foot by 7 foot bathroom to include a new tub with ceramic tile surround, a new shower control, toilet, solid-surface counter with sink, medicine cabinet, floor tile, and wallpaper costs around $16,500. The magazine predicts a 62.2% ROI (return on investment) for this project.
- The same Remodeling report puts the price of adding a brand new 6 foot x 8 foot bathroom at roughly $40,000.
- Use this free remodeling budget estimator from HGTV.com to calculate costs based on your location and preferences.